First step was to dissect a wiimote. There are 4 screws holding the shell together. They are accessible through the battery compartment. Although they are meant to be unscrewed with a triwing screwdriver, a flat head one coupled with some brute force gets the job done. After the unscrewing, crack open the outer shell with a flat head screwdriver (or anything similar) .After opening the case, take out wiimote's board.
(Optional) I had to reposition the big cap for clearance issues. I also had to remove the batter contacts. If needed, the red button at the end of the board can be removed too ( No need to worry as it won't be used for bluetooth pairing).
If you plan to use switches (You need to use the #1 and #2 button for bluetooth pairing ), cut enough wires ( Cut for at least 20cm, you might need the extra length when routing the wiring) and solder them to the button contacts. All of the button contacts share a common ground, you only need one wire for a button/switch (due to a malfunctioning multimeter, I identified all of them separate and used two wires). If you have some fear for contacting the two surfaces of a button contact while soldering, use masking tape to cover the half of a contact to make the job easier. In addition to the buttons, solder two wires for battery. After all soldering is done, you can route the wiring thru the grooves on the board and fixate it with some tape.
To fit the wiimote board inside the guitar (in this case, an Ibanez RG series), I carved the middle section between the tremolo cavity and the electronics cavity(a chisel paired with a hammer did the job) .To place it further inside the electronics cavity, I carved a pocket close the outer wall. With this way, wiimote board fits in with minimal carving, still leaving room for batteries and other circuits in the tremolo cavity. Due to this positioning, guitars bridge needs to be fixed (a small piece of wood placed between the tremolo block and the guitar body is enough) as the wiimote gets in the way of the tremolo springs but when the capacitor is repositioned and the switch along with the rear connector is taken out, there is enough clearance for the springs.
To accommodate the switches and the batery pack, I carved another cavity. To minimize the cracking of the paint, I cut through it by going over it repeatedly with an exacto knife. After cutting through the paint, I lifted it of with a chisel. Most of the carving was done with a drill using a hole saw, and a chisel was used to give the final shape(A wood router is better for this but I didn't own one at the time of the build). Wiring from the wiimote enters through a drilled canal. When all the woodwork is complete, switches are soldered to the wires coming from the button contacts. One switch is used for cutting the power. There is no need to screw down the wiimote board. When the electronics cavity cover plate is put back to its place, the wiimote board stays firmly in its place (laying a piece of tissue paper underneath it tightens it more).
Content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons License.